What happens to nonmarital property?

Michigan is a no fault state; meaning that, if you ask the County for divorce, you will have that request granted. You do not have to allege that your spouse has done anything wrong. You must however, allege that there has been a breakdown in the marriage.

NOTICE: None of these questions and answers constitute legal advice. To obtain legal advice, consult with an attorney. This is especially important in divorce and family law matters, in which outcomes are often peculiar to the particular facts and circumstances of the case.
Back to the Information Center

Question: What happens to nonmarital property?

Answer: Nothing, usually. The owner of nonmarital property keeps it.
However, in considering a monetary award, and in deciding on
alimony, a Michigan court must consider all of the financial
circumstances and resources of each of the parties, including any
nonmarital property. If a judgment is entered against someone for a
monetary award, nothing prohibits the party entitled to the
judgment from going after nonmarital property to collect it.

Comments are closed.